How Does Cosmetic Botox Work?
Botox has many functions, but it is most commonly known for its cosmetic purposes as an anti-aging treatment in minimizing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. At YouthFill MD, we offer cosmetic Botox alongside several other treatment options to help our patients look and feel their best. For more information, give us a call or book an appointment online.
Paving the way for cosmetic injectables for the past few decades, Botox has become a household name due to its undeniable results and long list of benefits. Composed of the botulinum toxin, Botox works to minimize wrinkles, fine lines and furrows. It does this by interfering with the nerve signals that cause muscles to contract, effectively rendering them ‘inactive.’ Botox has been used both clinically and cosmetically and has stood the test of time, still holding its own as one of the best cosmetic injectables on the market.
What is cosmetic Botox?
Cosmetic Botox is a purified protein complex derived from the botulinum toxin. By blocking nerve impulses, it smooths the muscles, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines in the process. At the neuromuscular junction, cosmetic Botox blocks the release of acetylcholine thereby preventing the contraction of muscles.
How long does cosmetic Botox last?
On average, the results of Botox last around 3 to 4 months, which is heavily dependent on certain factors. These include:
- Individual metabolism
- Desired results
- Area(s) being treated
- Severity of the condition being treated
What can I expect with a cosmetic Botox treatment?
A Botox treatment is a quick, simple procedure that requires no anesthesia and minimal downtime. Though most patients receiving Botox injections report minimal discomfort, others may report the injections feel like a pinch, which should not produce any pain. Within 24 to 48 hours, clients may begin to notice a visible smoothing of frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines.
What do I need to know about cosmetic Botox?
Before receiving a Botox treatment, it is important to know a few crucial things:
- Botox is a neurotoxin that gets injected with a needle into the areas causing concern
- When administered by a qualified clinician, Botox is a safe and effective procedure
- There is no magic age to have it done; people of all ages can benefit from Botox, although the minimum age requirement is 18 (and in some cases, higher, based on the clinician’s discretion)
- When done correctly, it will not provide a ‘frozen’ appearance
- It does not eradicate all wrinkles, instead it targets wrinkles that are formed when the muscles are contracting, known as ‘expression lines’
- Botox is actually a brand name, and the botulinum toxin (its primary ingredient) is sold under many other names, including Xeomin and Jeuveau
- It might feel funny at first as the muscles adjust to the injection, but that will quickly fade
- Both men and women use it, and it is becoming increasingly more popular among males
- It is not just a one-time thing, and will require repeated treatments in order to maintain the results, which typically last for 3-4 months
- Avoid getting roped into a deal, as these are often performed by less established clinics with little to no experience
- Always ask how many units it will take to produce the desired results, which will indicate how much of the neurotoxin is injected
Into what areas can Botox be injected?
Botox is FDA-approved to treat dynamic wrinkles that form on the upper half of the face, including frown lines (glabellar lines), forehead lines, and crow’s feet. It has also been approved for various medical uses, including the alleviation of pain from migraines, the relief of muscle stiffness and spasms, the treatment of overactive sweat glands (hyperhidrosis) and the treatment of a lazy eye. For those with a specific treatment area in mind, be sure to ask about it during the initial consultation to find out if this injectable is the right fit. There are some wrinkles that Botox cannot treat, including wrinkles that have formed due to sagging skin, excess sun exposure or gravity.
At YouthFill MD Med Spa in California, we are dedicated to providing you with all of your Botox needs. Our certified clinicians are experienced at administering Botox injections and can help you get the most out of each treatment. We have 8 locations across southern California to provide quality service to as many clients as possible. To find out which location is closest to you, visit our Locations page. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Beverly Hills CA, Hollywood CA, Santa Monica CA, Inglewood CA, Burbank CA, Los Angeles CA, and Glendale CA.